Sunday, April 27, 2008

Kampar Umno Sends Petition Asking Tajol Rosli To Resign - Bernama

KAMPAR, April 27 (Bernama) -- The Kampar Umno division has sent a petition to party state liaison committee chairman Datuk Seri Tajol Rosli Ghazali asking him to resign as he has failed to carry out his duty as a leader.

The petition was signed by 111 representatives of the division and its Wanita, Youth and Puteri wings, as well as the branch heads at a special meeting recently.

Division secretary Abdul Rahman Md. Som said a copy of the petition was sent to Prime Minister and Umno president Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

This followed a call from the division head Datuk Mohd Radzi Manan on April 14 for Tajol Rosli, the former Perak Menteri Besar, to step down to make way for a more energetic leader.

Speaking to reporters after meeting about 500 members from the division at Changkat Tin, near here, today, Abdul Rahman said the petition also conveyed the division's disappointment over Tajol Rosli's lack of initiative to revive the spirit of Perak Umno members following Barisan Nasional's dismal showing in the March 8 general election.

He said the members were under stress as Perak Umno had lost its direction and there was no specific plan of action for its strength to be restored as soon as possible.


Mara will handle money, not Pakatan governments - The Star

IPOH: The Entrepreneur and Cooperative Development Ministry has rerouted its funds meant for the five Pakatan Rakyat states, claiming that the move would prevent the rakyat from being “victimised”.

Its minister Datuk Noh Omar said the funds would be channelled through Mara in those states. He however did not explain what he meant by the word “victimised”.

“Previously, the funds were channelled through the respective State Economic Development Corporation,” he told reporters after opening the Perak Malay Chamber of Commerce annual general meeting here yesterday.

Noh also criticised the Selangor and Perak state governments for their decision to charge rental on the land occupied by the ministry’s training centres in the two states.

“The centres provide training for everybody regardless of their political beliefs.

“But the state governments are more interested in profit and failed to see the services provided by the ministry to the people,” he said.

[More at]

'MIC president was not making a threat' - NST

By : Suganthi Suparmaniam

KUALA LUMPUR: There was mixed reaction to MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu's statement that he would seek support from other countries if the government continues to ignore the Indian community.

MIC Puteri chief J. Usha Nandhini said the statement must not be taken negatively as Samy Vellu had spoken as a guardian of Indians in the country.

"I don't think it's a threat. Previously, he spoke as a cabinet minister, now he is speaking at a different platform. He has to speak for the 600,000 MIC members and the 1.7 million Indians in the country," she said.

"As the party president and former senior cabinet minister, for him to say this shows that the government has to be fast in implementing whatever policies that it has promised."

She said gone were the days when people were satisfied with mere promises. They now wanted to see how soon a promise could be delivered.

Usha said Barisan Nasional had always looked after the Indians, but sometimes it failed to look at some of the issues affecting them.

[More at]

Karpal: I'm no bigot - NST

By : Sharanjit Singh and Syed Umar Ariff

GEORGE TOWN: DAP national chairman Karpal Singh yesterday dismissed allegations that he was a bigot for continuously making a stand against the formation of an Islamic state.

Karpal, who has come under fire in blogs and also received death threats, said he had never insulted Islam and that Muslims should not turn him into another Salman Rushdie.

"I cannot understand why some people are saying that I have insulted Islam.

"What I have been against and will continue to be against is attempts by Pas to turn this country into an Islamic state," he said, adding he was just standing up for what was stated in the country's Constitution, that Malaysia was a secular state.

He said anyone who opposed his stand could be deemed to be challenging the constitution.

Karpal said he would continue to fight against the Islamic state issue despite being criticised in blogs, including a call to kill him on the Johor Pas website.

[More at]

Return cash, Khir's wife told - The Star

SHAH ALAM: Give back the RM9.9mil, withdraw the application to dissolve the Wives of Selangor Assemblymen and MPs Welfare and Charity Organisation (Balkis) and the matter is settled.

This is Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim's offer to Datin Seri Zahrah Kechik who was the organisation's head when she and the other members decided to transfer the RM9.9mil from its coffers after Barisan Nasional lost the state during the March general election.

The group also decided to dissolve the organisation.

Khalid said his offer was the best solution to resolve the controversy.

“If not, the state will pursue the matter because the people want us to be correct. If there has been misconduct, then justice will take its course,” he told reporters yesterday.

The issue blew up when it was revealed that Balkis, lead by Zahrah, who is the wife of former Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Khir Toyo, transferred RM9.9mil to the Association of Wives of Ministers and Deputy Ministers (Bakti) three days after the state fell to Pakatan Rakyat.

[More at]

Najib: Let’s put keris issue to rest - The Star

PEKAN: Umno hopes the issue of party Youth chief Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein wielding the keris will now be put to rest after his apology.

Umno deputy president Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said Hishammuddin's apology was something great and noble.

Najib was speaking to reporters after launching Al Taqwa Mosque's new water distillation tank and dispensers in Peramu Jaya near here yesterday.

On Friday, Hishammuddin admitted that the raising of the keris during the wing's annual assemblies was among the causes of the Barisan Nasional’s poor performance in the general election and apologised to the non-Malays over the incidents.

He also apologised to the Malays for failing to uphold a symbol of their heritage.

Najib reiterated that the unsheathing of the keris did not signal an intention to declare war or bear any racial overtones.

[More at]

No need to be fearful, Malays told - The Star

VIDEO: Anwar admits Pakatan governments have fewer Malays

SHAH ALAM: PKR de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has admitted that Malay representation in Pakatan Rakyat state governments was lower than in previous governments.

However, he said the agenda and policies of Pakatan Rakyat was to affirm the Supremacy of the People.

“This means we will champion the cause of all people,” he said.

He was speaking to reporters after the launch of a book by the late Rustam A. Sani entitled Failed Nation? – Concerns of a Malaysian Nationalist and Social Roots of the Malay Left here yesterday.

Anwar said given that Malays made up the majority in Kedah, Perak and Selangor, their welfare would definitely be taken care of.

He said that since the Chinese made up the majority in Penang, they should be made to feel that their rights were well protected.

[More at]

Hamid: ISA will remain in place - The Star

By Farik Zolkepli

KOTA TINGGI: Preventive laws, including the Internal Security Act (ISA), will not be abolished, said Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar.

Such laws serve the purpose of maintaining public order, he said when commenting on a claim by PKR de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim that Pakatan Rakyat would abolish preventive laws should they rule the country.

“The measure, which was introduced before the country’s independence, has been continued and improved.

“The ISA is not for the purpose of carrying out injustice but to protect the public’s right to live in comfort without fearing for their lives,” he said, adding that the Government could not wait for anything bad to happen before taking action.

He added that Anwar never did anything when he was deputy prime minister and it was easy for the Opposition to promise things than actually implement them.

On the five Hindraf members held under the ISA, Syed Hamid said people should look at what they had done in the first place.

[More at]

Ku Li: Democratic and fair election the only way to end internal strife - The Star

By Ian McIntyre

KOTA BARU: Gua Musang Umno division head Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah does not believe that contests for the top posts can cause a split similar to the 1987 episode, which resulted in Umno breaking into two groups.

There would not be a lingering split as the party now has the maturity and conviction to overcome differences of opinions, he said, adding that Umno members should treat each other as “brothers-in-arms”.

Tengku Razaleigh, 71, said only a democratic and fair contest during the party elections can put to rest issues about leadership capabilities.

Such a contest would also mark a process to elevate Umno back onto its rightful position, he said.

“The president's post in Umno is not decided by a handful of leaders. It must be decided by grassroots members,” he said.

He was addressing a gathering of some 2,000 people at Balai Islam here on Friday evening.

[More at]