Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cops investigating Raja Petra’s allegations - The Star

By Lourdes Charles

KUALA LUMPUR: The police will be calling up Malaysia Today editor Raja Petra Kamaruddin to investigate his allegations in a recent statutory declaration, which touched on purported facts related to the ongoing Altantuya Shaariibuu trial.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said the three individuals named in the document filed at the High Court here on June 18 would also be called up.

Raja Petra had claimed that these individuals, one a prominent VIP, were present when Altantuya was killed on Oct 19, 2006.

Copies of the statutory declaration, filed on June 18, have been posted online by bloggers.

In his two-paged statutory declaration, Raja Petra said he had been “reliably informed” of the presence of these individuals at the murder.

Musa said that the matter could be subjudice as the Altantuya murder trial was on going.

[More at]

Umno man defies party, ready to face music - The Star

By Raslan Baharom

TAIPING: An Umno member who stood for and won one of the 30 vacant village head posts that were up for grabs at Sunday's Pakatan Rakyat government-organised election knew that he could be expelled from the party for not towing the line.

“If I’m expelled from the party, I have to accept it because they (Umno leaders) have the power to do so,” said Mokhtar Muda.

The 56-year-old retired soldier won a three-cornered fight for the post of Kampung Boyan village head after polling 541 votes, beating self-employed Shaari Chain, 50, and retired teacher Ali Akbar Ibrahim, 60, from Parti Keadilan Rakyat and PAS respectively.

Shaari obtained 77 votes while Ali Akbar garnered 387 votes.

Mokhtar said he did not contest for the post under the Umno ticket.

“The post which I won today should not be a reflection of which party one is aligned to,” said the father of six.

Some local Umno leaders such as former state assembly speaker Datuk Md Isa Ismail, who is also Bukit Gantang Umno division chairman, had warned Umno members against contesting in the village head election as this amounted to disregarding party directives.


The SAPP Saga: I won't leave party, says Raymond Tan - NST

By : Jaswinder Kaur

KOTA KINABALU: The deputy president of the Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP), Datuk Raymond Tan Shu Kiah, said yesterday he would remain with the party even if it was expelled from Barisan Nasional for its decision to go ahead with the motion of no confidence against the prime minister.

His voice cracking with emotion, Tan, who was against the proposed motion, appealed to prime minister and BN chairman Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to not take action against the party.

He remained firm on his statement that the decision made at Friday's SAPP supreme council meeting to endorse the motion of no confidence was not unanimous.

Tan also criticised the Anti-Corruption Agency for stating that it would investigate SAPP president Datuk Seri Yong Teck Lee following testimony in a court case that he took profits from the sale of shares belonging to a state-owned company while serving as Sabah chief minister.

Tan, who defended his party and Yong at a 15-minute press conference at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport before leaving for his hometown in Sandakan, said he would remain loyal to SAPP which he joined 14 years ago.

Tan said, although he and Yong might have different views, this was not the time to be away from the party.

[More at]