Latest

Monday, March 24, 2008

I Offer To Restore Umno For The Sake Of Party Survival - Razaleigh - Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR, March 24 (Bernama) -- Gua Musang member of parliament Tengku Tan Sri Razaleigh Hamzah said it he offered to play a role in restoring Umno for the sake of the Malay race and the party's own survival.

He said he was not in any way taking advantage of the situation following the Barisan Nasional's (BN) dismal performance in the March 8 general election.

The former finance minister said his suggestion that a special Umno assembly be convened to evaluate the poor performance in the election, and his offer to contest the president's post, was made to enable to party to get back on its feet and not stumbled further.

"I stated my readiness to lift the spirit of Umno members which has been weakened after the Barisan Nasional's (BN) defeat in four states and the failure to wrest Kelantan from PAS in the general election. It's my sincere wish to see the party regain its strength.

"I feel that I've been called forth to help restore the party," he told Bernama at his residence here last night.

[More at http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=322407]

No comments: