Latest

Friday, April 4, 2008

Samy Vellu Will Seek Re-election For His Last Term - Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR, April 4 (Bernama) -- MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu will defend his post for the last time in the presidential election in March next year.

The former Works Minister reiterated that it would be his last term leading the party and that he would not contest in the next general election.

"I will definitely contest for the president's post. I've already said I will retire after 2012.

"But I will not contest anymore in the general election. It's enough," the veteran MIC leader told reporters after presenting UPSR (Ujian Pencapaian Sekolah Rendah) revision books to Tamil school pupils.

Samy Vellu, who lost in the Sungai Siput parliamentary seat in last month's general election, said he welcomed contest from anyone who wanted to challenge him for the top post which he had held for 27 years.

"Let anyone contest, I don't want to say who will contest or what. Anybody can contest and I will be very happy because I want to see what is my strength (in the party)," he said.

[More at http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=324728]

No comments: