Latest

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'm no hero, says man who dared Dr M - NST

By : Noor Adzman Baharuddin

ALOR STAR: Ismail Wan Teh is regarded by some, especially Pas supporters, as a hero of sorts.

The reason, they say, is that he dared to challenge former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad to take the lead in quitting Umno after he had goaded party members to leave the party temporarily as a sign of protest against the leadership of his successor, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

But the 42-year-old Ismail, who is Jerlun Pas division deputy chairman, resented the hero tag.

"No. I never intended to challenge or dare him to make the first move," Ismail said here yesterday.

"I have been following his statements in the newspapers and I think many people would have expected him to make such a move and that it was just a matter of timing, and I am no hero.

"Honestly, I wasn't challenging him although he had responded by saying that he thought I was issuing him a challenge.

"I also did not ask him as a politician because the organisers had reminded us that it was an event to discuss the future of the Malays, regardless of their political affiliation."

[More at http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/Frontpage/2245855/Article/index_html]

No comments: