Latest

Monday, May 5, 2008

MCA needs to stay relevant - The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: MCA, the second largest Barisan Nasional component party which has all along been known as a Chinese-based party since its formation, needs to change by adopting a more multiracial outlook and approach or face the risk of extinction in the national political landscape, says vice-president Datuk Ong Tee Keat.

Such a strategic change, he said, might not be drastically apparent at the moment but it was something that the party needed to do to stay relevant in the country’s new political scenario.

“We need to project a multiracial outlook and approach to handle the people’s concerns,” he told Bernama in an interview.

“Of course, I do not rule out the possibility that my agenda will raise eyebrows among the conservative (members) in the party.

“I am also mindful of the possibility that this may be used by my detractors in the coming party elections and put me at risk of losing support within the party.

“(But) I am adamant in my stand. I am strongly convinced that this is the way out for the party if you really want to keep the party relevant.”

[More at http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/5/nation/21151577&sec=nation]

No comments: