Latest

Friday, July 11, 2008

Najib: It's not easy to willingly give up power - NST

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Razak yesterday urged all Umno members to support the transition plan and continue to support his "boss" Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi as president of Umno and prime minister.

For the first time, deputy president Najib addressed the 1,000-odd delegates at a special party meeting after Abdullah had spoken to them.

"It is strange for me to speak after the president. I hope this is the last time ever that I have to speak after the president," said Najib, who was visibly touched by Abdullah's announcement of the transition plan.

He said he was asked to speak after Abdullah "so that I could hear what he had to say and then frame my response".

"I am touched by the prime minister's willingness to fix a date for handing over power and I hope all Umno members will support this," he said to loud applause.

Najib told Umno members he had never asked Abdullah to set a date for handing over power.

"I left it to the prime minister. All I asked for was adequate time to make preparations."

[More at http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Frontpage/2290960/Article/index_html]

No comments: