Latest

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bintulu MP Elected BN Backbenchers Club Chairman - Bernama

By Alan Ting

PETALING JAYA, April 19 (Bernama) -- The Member of Parliament (MP) for Bintulu Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing and MP for Kinabatangan Bung Mokhtar Radin have been named as the Barisan Nasional (BN) Backbenchers Club (BBC) chairman and deputy chairman respectively.

Confirming this to Bernama Saturday night, Tiong said he was notified of the decision Saturday when the BN backbenchers held a retreat at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

"Yes, that's true. They informed me that I was elected to the position. I was not there when the election took place... It is something that I did not expect.

"However, I will carry out the duty and I will do my best. I thank all my colleagues for their trust in me," he said.

Tiong said BN MPs also elected Bung Mokhtar, who has been the MP for Kinabatangan for three terms, as his deputy.

Tiong shot to fame after he highlighted the problem of gangsters in his homestate of Sarawak in the Dewan Rakyat.

This prompted the police to launch Ops Cantas to track down and arrest most of the gang members.

[More at http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=327928]

No comments: