Latest

Monday, April 7, 2008

Najib will take over 'when time comes' - NST

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Razak is the natural successor to the Umno presidency, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said.

Speaking at a closed-door briefing for Umno grassroots leaders here yesterday, the prime minister and Umno president said there had never been any problems between them.

"I assure you there are no problems between us, and he is the one who will be succeeding me."

While not saying when this is likely to happen, Abdullah made it clear he would hand over to Najib when the time is right.

He reiterated that he would not be stepping down.

"I will know when to go, but give me a chance to implement what I have promised," he said.

At a press conference later, Abdullah said unlike former deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim then, Najib saw himself as a successor and not an alternative choice for prime minister.

[More at http://www.nst.com.my/Monday/Frontpage/2206365/Article/index_html]

No comments: